Microsoft KB Archive/170527
Article ID: 170527
Article Last Modified on 1/20/2007
- Microsoft Word 97 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Word 95 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q170527
If you insert an inline (non-floating) object into a Word document, the object may be distorted when printed.
The object may be stretched vertically, squished, or cropped (as though only a portion of the object is trying to fill the object's allocated area).
This problem occurs when the printer is set to a non-square graphics resolution: that is, with different values for horizontal and vertical resolution, such as 600 X 300 dots per inch (dpi).
This problem has been reported to occur with the following printer drivers, that print with a non-square resolution:
- COMPAQ PAGEMARQ 15 v2012.015
- COMPAQ PAGEMARQ 20 v2012.015
- Digital DEClaser 5100 v2013
- Digital DECcolorwriter 1000 17 fonts v2013.113
- Digital DECcolorwriter 1000 39 fonts v2013.113
- QMS 860+ Print System
- Tektronix Phaser 240 17
- Tektronix Phaser 340 600 dpi
- HP DeskJet 550C (and other DeskJets)
- HP Laserjet 4
- Epson LQ570 (and other dot-matrix printers)
To correct this problem, install Microsoft Word 97 Service Release 1 (SR- 1).
To work around this problem, use either of the following methods.
Method 1: Change the Print Resolution
To change the printer resolution to a square resolution, such as 300 X 300 dpi, follow these steps.
- Click the Start button, point to Settings, and then click Printers.
- Right-click the icon of the printer you want to use, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu.
- On the Graphics tab, choose a square resolution, such as 300 X 300 dpi.
- Click OK.
NOTE: Not all printers have settings to change print resolutions, and not all printers have non-square print resolutions.
Method 2: Convert the Object to a Floating Object
- Click the object to select it.
- On the Format menu, click <Object> (for example Picture).
- On the Position tab, click to select the Float Over Text check box, and then click OK.
For more information about converting inline objects to floating objects, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
167738 WD97: Can't See or Manipulate Objects (and Other Odd Behavior)
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Microsoft Word 97 for Windows. This problem was corrected in Microsoft Word 97 SR-1.
For additional information about SR-1, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
172475 OFF97: How to Obtain and Install MS Office 97 SR-1
The third-party products discussed here are manufactured by vendors independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding these products' performance or reliability.
Additional query words: SR1 release1 8.0 8.00 PS Adobe ACTT Corel Draw Graph Chart HPGL WMF
Keywords: kbbug kbfix kbgraphic kbprint KB170527