Microsoft KB Archive/170525
Article ID: 170525
Article Last Modified on 8/17/2007
- Microsoft Word 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q170525
The procedure for printing envelopes from Microsoft Word for Windows to a Hewlett Packard DeskJet 500 has changed between Microsoft Windows NT 3.51 or Windows 95 and Windows NT 4.0.
In Microsoft Windows NT 3.51, you can load the envelope into the printer before printing. However, if you do this in Windows NT 4.0, the printer ejects the envelope without printing. In Windows NT 4.0 the correct procedure is to load the envelope after sending the print command.
To print an envelope from Word to a Hewlett Packard Deskjet 500 printer in Windows NT 4.0, follow these steps.
Set the Printer Properties
- Click the Start button, point to Settings, and then click Printers.
- Right-click the Deskjet 500 icon, and click Properties on the shortcut menu.
- On the Device Settings tab, set the Envelope, Manual feed property to Envelope #10 (the default value is Not Available), and then click OK.
Print the Envelope from Word
- In Word, click Envelopes and Labels on the Tools menu.
- On the Envelopes tab, click Options.
- On the Envelope Options tab, click Size 10 in the Envelope Size list.
- On the Printing Options tab, click Envelope, Manual Feed in the Feed From list.
- Under Feed Method, click the second icon from the left, (portrait, centered). Click Face Down, and then click OK.
- Remove all paper and envelopes from the printer. If the Ready light on the printer is not lit, press the Status button on the printer.
- In Word, click the Print button to print the envelope. After the printer stops making noise and the Ready light is flashing, insert the envelope into the printer and then press the Envelope button on the printer to load it.
- Press the Status button on the printer to begin printing the envelope.
The Deskjet 500 is manufactured by Hewlett Packard, a vendor independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.
For additional information about printing envelopes to the HP Deskjet 500, please see the following articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
111836 WD: Printing Envelopes from Word on the HP Deskjet 500C
Additional query words: 8.0
Keywords: kb3rdparty kbenvelope kbhardware kbhowto kbprint KB170525