Microsoft KB Archive/170184
Article ID: 170184
Article Last Modified on 1/20/2007
- Microsoft DreamWorks Interactive The Neverhood
- Microsoft DreamWorks Interactive Goosebumps Escape from Horrorland
- Microsoft Close Combat
- Microsoft Deadly Tide
- Microsoft Flight Simulator 95
- Microsoft Gex
- Microsoft Hellbender
- Microsoft Monster Truck Madness
- Microsoft NBA Full Court Press
- Microsoft Soccer
This article was previously published under Q170184
When you attempt to reinstall a sound driver for your sound card, you may receive the following message:
When you attempt to reinstall a video driver for your video adapter, you may receive the following message:
To resolve this issue, insert the CD-ROM for your game, and then click OK. If the issue continues to occur, click Browse, and then navigate to the appropriate folder on the CD-ROM for your game:
! Driver Type ! Folder |- | DirectSound | DirectX\Drivers\Audio\Bin |- | DirectDraw | DirectX\Drivers\Display\Bin |}
If the issue continues to occur, insert the driver CD-ROM or disk provided by your hardware manufacturer. Many newer drivers from hardware manufacturers are also DirectX-enabled. To search for the driver on the driver CD-ROM or disk provided by your hardware manufacturer, click Browse.
Many games designed for Windows 95 use DirectX. DirectX includes a set of updated drivers for popular audio and display cards. These games include the full DirectX package on the CD-ROM, including the updated drivers.
Hardware manufacturers also provide new drivers that support DirectX. The "Insert Disk" message can refer to either the CD-ROM for the game or a CD-ROM or disk provided by you hardware manufacturer.
If DirectX Setup does not accept the CD-ROM or disk that contains the updated driver when you attempt to replace a DirectX driver, delete the the list of DirectSound drivers (Msdsound.inf) or DirectDraw drivers (Msddraw.inf), and then install the new driver.
To remove the list of DirectSound or Direct Draw drivers, follow these steps:
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type the following line, and then click OK
driveis the drive letter for the hard disk on which Microsoft Windows is installed.
Use the appropriate method for the type of driver you want to install:
- Right-click the Msdsound.inf file, and then click Delete. When you are prompted to confirm deleting the file, click Yes.
- Right-click the Msdsound folder, and then click Delete. When you are prompted to confirm deleting the folder, click Yes To All.
- Right-click the Msddraw.inf file, and then click Delete. When you are prompted to confirm deleting the file, click Yes.
- Right-click the Msddraw folder, and then click Delete. When you are prompted to confirm deleting the folder, click Yes To All.
- To restore the lists of DirectSound and DirectDraw drivers, run DirectX Setup (Dxsetup.exe) from the DirectX folder on the installation CD-ROM for your game.
Additional query words: 1.00 direct-x dwi fs6 dx6 msgame sound audio video display setup installation
Keywords: kbhardware kbdisplay kberrmsg kbfaq kbmm kbprb kbsetup kbsound KB170184