Microsoft KB Archive/169989
Article ID: 169989
Article Last Modified on 12/5/2003
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.5 for Macintosh
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.01 for Macintosh
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 for Macintosh
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.0 for Macintosh
This article was previously published under Q169989
This article describes how to add, organize, and subscribe to Favorites in Internet Explorer for Macintosh.
To add a Web page that you are currently viewing to your Favorites folder, use one of the following methods:
- Click Add Page To Favorites on the Favorites menu.
- Click and hold down the mouse button on the Web page, and then click Add Page To Favorites on the menu that appears.
- Click and hold down the mouse button on a link, and then click Add Link To Favorites on the menu that appears. This adds a Favorite for the Web page the to which the link points.
To add a Web page that you are not viewing to your Favorites folder, click New Favorites on the Favorites menu. On the Info tab, specify a name, Uniform Resource Locator (URL) address, and any comments, and then click OK.
To organize items in the Favorites folder, click Open Favorites (Organize Favorites in Internet Explorer 4.5) on the Favorites menu. When the Favorites folder is open, you can create new folders by clicking New Folder on the Favorites menu, add dividers between Favorites by clicking New Divider on the Favorites menu, move Favorites by dragging them to a different location in the Favorites folder, and delete Favorites by dragging them to the Trash.
Subscribing to Favorites
To subscribe to Favorites, follow these steps:
- On the Favorites menu, click Open Favorites (Organize Favorites in Internet Explorer 4.5).
- Double-click to the far left of the Favorite to which you want to subscribe.
- On the Subscribe tab, click the Check This Site For Changes check box to select it, and then click OK. A newspaper icon then appears to the far left of the Favorite.
To change the way Internet Explorer handles subscriptions, click Subscription Options on the Favorites menu to open the Subscription Options dialog box.
The Update tab in the Subscription Options dialog box contains the following options:
- Manually: To manually update subscriptions, click Update Subscriptions on the Favorites menu.
- Each Time Explorer Is Launched: Subscriptions are automatically updated when you start Internet Explorer.
- Every <x> Minutes, Hours, Or Days: Subscriptions are automatically updated based on the interval you specify.
Additional Subscription Options in Internet Explorer 4.5
- On the Information tab, you can modify the name, URL, and comments about the subscription.
- On the Subscribe tab, you can selet the site to which you want to subscribe.
- On the Account tab, you can specify a user name, password, and domain if they are required to connect to the Web site.
- On the Schedule tab, you can schedule Internet Explorer to check the Web site for updated files.
- On the Notify tab are the notification options that are available in earlier versions of Internet Explorer.
- On the Offline tab, you can configure the Web site home page to automatically download to your local computer.
If the Web site is successfully updated, the newspaper icon changes to a gold, 4-point star. If the Web site is not successfully updated, the newspaper icon changes to an exclamation point in a yellow triangle. Subscriptions cannot be updated if Internet Explorer is not running or if you are not connected to the Internet.
You can also use the Notify tab in the Subscriptions Options dialog box to select how Internet Explorer notifies you when a subscription has been updated. To enable a custom notification for a subscription, click the Use a custom notification for this Favorite check box to select it. The following custom notifications are available:
- Play A Sound: One of several different sounds is played when a subscription is updated.
- Display An Alert: A dialog box appears notifying you when a particular subscription is updated.
- Flash Explorer's Icon: The Internet Explorer icon in the upper right corner flashes when a subscription is updated.
- Send E-mail: Internet Explorer sends e-mail to your current e-mail address or to a custom e-mail address when a subscription is updated.
Keywords: kbhowto kbenv KB169989