Microsoft KB Archive/169818
Article ID: 169818
Article Last Modified on 1/19/2007
- Microsoft Outlook 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q169818
When you initiate a phone call from a contact's record, Outlook records the call in the Journal folder. However, it may not record the call on the Journal tab in the contact's record.
There are two possible causes for this behavior:
- You have filed the contact under something other than the default names assigned to the "File As" field at setup.
- You have entered "Name details" that include a first name containing a space.
To resolve this behavior with the first cause, file the contact by one of the default names assigned to the File As field at setup.
To resolve the behavior with the second cause, do not type a first name containing a space in the detail field.
Cause 1: The Contact Is Not Filed by a Default Name
When you set up a contact record, the system generates two File As field names based on the contact's name as entered. Entering the contact's name as "John B. Doe" generates names of "John B. Doe" and "Doe, John B." Using either of these names in the File As, field results in logging phone calls to the contact's Journal page. However, phone calls are not logged to the contact's Journal page if you change the name in the File As field to anything else.
Set Up a New Contact Record
- On the Contact menu, click New Contact.
- Type the name as John B. Doe, and type one phone number.
- On the Journal tab click to select, "Automatically record journal entries for this contact."
- Click Save And Close.
Make a Phone Call to the Contact
- Open the contact that you just created.
- On the contact toolbar, click the AutoDialer icon.
- Click Start Call.
- After dialing, end the call.
- Click Save And Close on the Phone Call record.
- Click Save And Close on the Contact record.
View the Journal Entries
- Open the Contact record.
- Click the Journal tab.
The phone call is recorded on the contact Journal page.
- Click Save And Close on the Contact Record.
- Click the Journal folder.
- In the Current View window, click Phone Calls.
The phone call is recorded in the Journal folder.
Cause 2: The First Name Contains a Space
When you set up a contact record and click Full Name, to enter the Name details, entering only one name in each name field results in logging phone calls correctly to the contact's Journal Page.
However, if you enter a First name containing a space, phone calls are not logged to the contact's Journal page.
First: John B.
NOTE: This condition sometimes results from importing Contact records from another program.
Keywords: kbprb KB169818