Microsoft KB Archive/169744
Setup Hangs While Detecting Adaptec SCSI Controllers
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Windows 95
When you run Windows 95 Setup, the computer may stop responding (hang) on the first reboot while Plug and Play devices are being detected.
This behavior can occur if either of the following conditions exists:
You have one of the following SCSI controllers installed with a SCSI hard disk:
- Adaptec AHA 2940 - Adaptec 2940AU - Adaptec 2940W - Adaptec AIC 7860
- An Hewlett-Packard (HP) ScanJet 4C scanner is the only device attached to the SCSI controller.
To resolve this issue, use one or more of the following methods.
Disable the SCSI controller and allow Setup to finish the Plug and Play Device detection. To do so, follow these steps:
- Enable Plug And Play SCAM Support in the Adaptec SCSI controller BIOS Setup.
- Disable BIOS Support For Int13 Extension in the Adaptec SCSI controller BIOS Setup.
- Restart Windows 95, press the F8 key when you see the "Starting Windows 95" message, and then choose Safe Mode from the Startup menu.
- In Control Panel, double-click the System icon, click the Performance tab, click File System, and then click the Troubleshooting tab.
Enable the following options:
- Disable protect-mode hard disk interrupt handling - Disable all 32 bit protect-mode disk drivers
For more information about the file system troubleshooting options in Windows 95, see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q165503 Description of the File System Troubleshooting Options
- Click OK, and then click OK again.
- When you are prompted to restart your computer, click Yes to continue with Setup.
- After Windows 95 is installed, disable the options you enabled in step 5.
Reinstall Windows 95 OEM Service Release 2 (OSR2) using the following command:
setup /p i
The "/p i" switch causes Setup not to report the existence of a Plug and Play BIOS. When you disable the serial port in your computer's CMOS settings after using this command to reinstall Windows 95, the resources that the serial port is configured to use are freed. For more information, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q128400 Windows 95 Setup Switches
Obtain the latest drivers for your SCSI controller from Adaptec. This may be necessary if there is an exclamation point in a yellow circle next to the SCSI controller in Device Manager, and the controller has the following status:
This device is not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. See your hardware documentation (Code 10.)
Additional query words: pnp adapter
Keywords : kbenv kbhw kbsetup osr2 win95
Issue type : kbprb
Technology : kbWin95search kbWin95
Last Reviewed: December 15, 2000