Microsoft KB Archive/169733
Article ID: 169733
Article Last Modified on 1/19/2007
- Microsoft Word 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q169733
In Microsoft Word 97 for Windows, you may receive the following error message:
When you open a document created in an earlier version of Word, if the document contains equations from Equation Editor version 2.x, Equation Editor version 3.0 may make the spacing in the equation wider or narrower than it was in the original.
NOTE: If Show All is selected in the View menu, space markers are visible before conversion, but not afterwards.
To work around this problem, you can select and delete unwanted spaces; however, this may be impractical depending on the number of equations and spaces.
To make the overall spacing more closely match the original, use the following steps in Microsoft Word 97 with Microsoft Equation 3.0:
- Double-click the equation to edit it. If Microsoft Equation 3.0 displays the error message described in the "Symptoms" section of this article, click "OK" until the message is no longer displayed.
- On the Format menu, click Spacing.
- Scroll down the list of items, and click Spacing Adjustment.
- Change the setting to about 40-50% to compress, or to about 120-140% to expand, and then click OK.
- On the Edit menu, click Select All.
- Press F9 to update all fields in the document, including the equation fields.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Microsoft Word 97 for Windows. We are researching this problem and will post new information here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base as it becomes available.
The following table describes typical conversion results.
Appearance in Editor 3.0 Description Shortcut key AFTER Conversion from 2.x -------------------------------------------------------------------- Zero space SHIFT+SPACEBAR Thin space (no marker) 1-point space CTRL+ALT+SPACEBAR Em space (no marker) Thin space CTRL+SPACEBAR Zero space (no marker) Thick space CTRL+SHIFT+SPACEBAR Zero space (no marker) Em space No shortcut - insert Zero space (no marker) from palette
Additional query words: word8 word97 8.0 GDI
Keywords: kberrmsg kbfield kbformula KB169733