Microsoft KB Archive/169669
Article ID: 169669
Article Last Modified on 10/28/2006
- Microsoft Exchange Server 5.0 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q169669
You are a legitimate administrator of Microsoft Exchange Server computers but are unable to delete messages in the Microsoft Mail Connector queues or return them to downstream Microsoft Mail postoffices.
The reason for this is that you must be a part of the local Windows NT Administrators group. The SC_MANAGE_ALL right is required to administer objects in the Microsoft Mail Connector property page. This right is only associated with users in the Windows NT Administrators group.
To work around this problem,
- Add yourself to the Windows NT Administrators group on the server you are trying to administer.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Microsoft Exchange Server version 5.0. This problem has been corrected in the latest U.S. Service Pack for Microsoft Exchange Server version 5.0. For information on obtaining the service pack, query on the following word in the Microsoft Knowledge Base (without the spaces):
S E R V P A C K
This fix will allow users who are not members of the Windows NT Administrators group to delete and return messages that are in the queues to downstream Microsoft Mail postoffices. These users will still not be able to add, delete, or modify PC MTAs (or any object that requires remote registry access). This option still requires SC_MANAGE_ALL rights.
To install the new file:
- Make a backup copy of the file from the Exchsrvr\Add-Ins\Ms\<Platform>\ and Exchsrvr\Connect\Msmcon\Bin directories.
- Copy the replacement file, Conadmin.dll, to the above directories.
- Start the Microsoft Exchange Server Administrator program in raw mode with the /r switch. (Open the Microsoft Exchange Server Administrator program pointing to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer that has the Microsoft Mail Connector.)
- Select the 'Extension for MS Mail Connector' in the <Organization>/ <Site>/Configurations/Add-Ins container.
- On the File menu, click Raw Properties.
- Select the attribute File-Version.
- In the Edit Value box, replace the value with the following string and press the Set button to make the changes.
This changes the version stamp of the file in the directory.
After replacing the Conadmin.dll and modifying the version stamp, administrators who are not Windows NT administrators should be able to delete/return messages from the Microsoft Mail Connector queues.
Keywords: kbbug kbfix kbusage KB169669