Microsoft KB Archive/169371
Article ID: 169371
Article Last Modified on 11/1/2006
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q169371
When you attempt to install the Microsoft Domain Name Service (DNS) Server, you receive the following error:
This is caused by a previous installation of DNS on the computer. DNS attempts to use previous settings contained in the %SystemRoot%\WinNT\System32\DNS directory.
To resolve this issue, perform the following steps:
- Stop the Microsoft DNS service using the Control Panel Services tool.
- Backup any zone files from the %SystemRoot%\WinNT\System32\DNS directory that you need to keep.
- Remove the Microsoft DNS Server using the Control Panel Network tool and restart when prompted.
- Delete the files in the WinNT\System32\DNS subdirectory.
- Install the Microsoft DNS Server service using the Control Panel Network tool.
Additional query words: no endpoint mapper available
Keywords: kbnetwork kbsetup KB169371