Microsoft KB Archive/169269
Article ID: 169269
Article Last Modified on 6/23/2005
- Microsoft Internet Information Server 3.0
This article was previously published under Q169269
We strongly recommend that all users upgrade to Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) version 6.0 running on Microsoft Windows Server 2003. IIS 6.0 significantly increases Web infrastructure security. For more information about IIS security-related topics, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
When you try to open a virtual directory that is mapped to a Novell NetWare 4.x Server, you will get the following error message in your browser:
The following error message can be seen in the Error column, when you type the UNC path name of the Novell share for the virtual directory and click OK.
You do not have the Gateway Services for NetWare installed on the Microsoft Windows NT Server and Internet Information Server (IIS).
It does not work if you have the Novell provided NetWare Redirector Client installed. You need to remove this and install the Microsoft Gateway Services for NetWare.
- Uninstall the NetWare Redirector provided by Novell.
- Install the Gateway Services for NetWare from Control Panel, Services.
- Do not enable the Gateway.
- When you log in you can choose the NetWare server as your preferred server.
- Create the Virtual Directory from the WWW Service properties under the Directories tab.
- Click Add Here and type in the UNC path name in the Directory text box.
NOTE: Do not map a drive and browse and select the mapped drive. This will not work.
- Type an Alias name. Click OK.
- Stop and restart the WWW service.
- Access this directory from your browser. You should be able to access the page and should not receive any error messages in the browser or in the Error column under the Directories tab of the WWW service properties when you add the NetWare directory.
NOTE: You should have the user name and password you use to connect to the virtual directory on both the Windows NT Server and NetWare Servers.
Additional information about virtual directories is available in the IIS online documentation and in the Windows NT Server online documentation for the installation and configuration of GSNW.
Keywords: kbinterop kbprb KB169269