Microsoft KB Archive/169195
Article ID: 169195
Article Last Modified on 1/19/2007
- Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia 97 for Macintosh
This article was previously published under Q169195
When you start Encarta 97 Encyclopedia for the Macintosh on a computer running Mac OS System Software 7.1 or earlier, you may receive the following error message:
After you reinstall Encarta 97, the error message still occurs when you start Encarta 97. Encarta is able to run, but Help is not available.
The 7.0/7.1 Apple Guide Enabler is not being loaded.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Microsoft Encarta 97 Encyclopedia for the Macintosh. Microsoft is researching this problem and will post new information here as it becomes available.
Make sure that the 7.0/7.1 Apple Guide Enabler is in the Extensions folder. To check for this extension, do the following:
- Double-click your hard drive icon, then double-click your System Folder.
- Double-click the Extensions.
- Try to locate the 7.0/7.1 Apple Guide Enabler. If it is not there, continue with step 4. If you do see the 7.0/7.1 Apple Guide Enabler icon, it may be corrupt. Drag the icon to the Trash and continue with step 4.
- In the Extensions folder, locate the Apple Guide Extension.
- Check your version of the Apple Guide using the following steps:
- Click the Apple Guide icon.
- On the File menu, select "Get Info."
- Check the version information. Encarta 97 installs version 2.0.2. If you have a later version, move the file to another folder on your hard drive. If the Apple Guide is version 2.0.2, drag the Apple Guide to the Trash.
- Reinstall Encarta 97 from disc 1.
After following the instructions above, Encarta 97 should install both version 2.0.2 of Apple Guide and the required 7.0/7.1 Apple Guide Enabler.
Additional query words: multi multi-media media mm macmm multimedia
Keywords: kberrmsg kbsetup kbusage KB169195