Microsoft KB Archive/169108
Article ID: 169108
Article Last Modified on 2/25/2002
- Microsoft Excel 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q169108
In Microsoft Excel 97, if you print a worksheet using the Generic / Text Only printer driver, you may experience either of the following problems:
- Microsoft Excel 97 stops responding (hangs). To quit the program, you must press CTRL+ALT+Del, and then shut down the instance of Microsoft Excel 97. -or-
- You receive the following error message:
If you click Details, you receive an error message similar to the following:When you click Close, Microsoft Excel 97 closes.
These problems occur if the following conditions are true:
- In the Print dialog box in Microsoft Excel 97, you click Properties. -and-
- In the Generic / Text Only Properties dialog box, you click the Device Options tab, and then click any of the three character mapping options (TTY Custom, Code Page 437, or Code Page 850). -and-
- You then click Apply or OK.
If it is necessary to use the Generic / Text Only printer driver, avoid selecting a character mapping option from within Microsoft Excel 97. Instead, use the Printers dialog box in Windows 95 to select a Character Mapping option. To do this, use the following steps:
- On the Start menu, point to Settings, and then click Printers.
- In the Printers window, right-click the Generic / Text Only printer driver. On the shortcut menu, click Properties.
- Click the Device Options tab.
- Click the character mapping option that you want to use.
- Click OK.
You can print to the Generic / Text Only printer driver without receiving any error messages.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in the Microsoft products listed at the beginning of this article.
The Generic / Text Only printer driver is designed for use with older dot matrix and "daisy-wheel" printers that do not have a dedicated printer driver in Windows 95. You can also use the Generic / Text Only printer to print to text files.
Additional query words: XL97 hangs freezes locks generic/text only
Keywords: kberrmsg kbprint kbprb KB169108