Microsoft KB Archive/168940
Problems Configuring Game Port on Micron Laptop Computer
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft SideWinder 3D Pro, version 1.0
- Microsoft SideWinder game pad, version 1.0
- Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback Pro, version 1.0
- Microsoft SideWinder Precision Pro
When you attach your SideWinder gaming device to a PC Card game port on a Micron Transport laptop computer, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms:
- The gaming device cannot be calibrated properly.
When you open the Joystick tool in Control Panel, you receive the following error message:
Your gaming device is not connected correctly. Ensure that it is plugged into your computer.
A SideWinder digital gaming device connects to your computer's game port device which should be configured to use I/O address range 0201-0201. However, on a Micron Transport laptop computer, the motherboard is configured to use this I/O address range. Therefore, it is not possible to configure a PC Card game port on a Micron Transport laptop computer to use this I/O address range.
If you are using the SideWinder 3D Pro, you can work around this problem by configuring your SideWinder 3D Pro for analog mode. To do so, follow these steps:
- Move the switch on the front of the SideWinder 3D Pro under the word "Microsoft" to the position with one black dot.
- In Control Panel, double-click Joystick.
- In the Joystick Selection list, click CH Flightstick Pro, and then click the Rudder check box to select it.
- Click Calibrate, and then follow the instructions on the screen to calibrate and test the joystick.
Microsoft is researching this problem and will post new information here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base as it becomes available.
Additional query words: side winder new media basics jammer
Keywords : kbhw sidewinder gamepad joystick
Version : 1.0
Platform : WINDOWS
Issue type :
Last Reviewed: August 9, 1999