Microsoft KB Archive/168933
SideWinder 3D Pro: Status Is Shown as "Not Connected"
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft SideWinder 3D Pro, version 1.0
The status of the Microsoft SideWinder 3D Pro joystick may be displayed as "Not Connected" in the Game Controllers tool in Control Panel.
This behavior can occur if the game port on your sound card is not compatible with the digital override of the SideWinder 3D Pro.
This behavior has been reported with the following sound cards:
- Advanced Gravis Eliminator
- Boca SoundExpression
- Chromatic !MPACT and !MPACT 2
- Colorado Spectrum Notebook
- Logitech Soundman WaveM
- Media Vision Premium 3D
- Media Vision ProSonic
- Orchid Nusound PnP 32
- TeleVideo TeleWave Q32/SRS
This behavior also occurs if a sound card based on an ESS or Opti chipset is installed in your computer.
To work around this issue, use the SideWinder 3D Pro's CH Flightstick Pro emulation mode. The CH Flightstick Pro emulation mode is an analog mode that may work when this behavior occurs.
To configure the SideWinder 3D Pro to use CH Flightstick Pro emulation mode, follow these steps:
- Move the switch on the front of the SideWinder 3D Pro under the word "Microsoft" to the position with one black dot.
- Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click Game Controllers, and then click Add.
- In the list of game controllers, click CH Flightstick Pro, and then click OK.
- Click Properties.
- Click to select the Rudder/Pedals check box, and then click Apply.
- Click Calibrate, and then follow the instructions on the screen to calibrate the joystick.
In addition, the manufacturer of your sound card may be able to provide you with an updated sound card driver or information that provides a more permanent resolution to this issue.
You may also be able to use the SideWinder 3D Pro in digital mode after you install the Microsoft SideWinder Game Controllers version 3.02 software.
For more information about how to obtain the latest version of the SideWinder software, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q162548 Availability of SideWinder Software Updates
The third-party products discussed here are manufactured by vendors independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding these products' performance or reliability.
Additional query words: 1.00 side winder gaming device
Keywords : kb3rdparty kbhw sidewinder kbimu
Version : WINDOWS:1.0
Platform : WINDOWS
Issue type : kbprb
Last Reviewed: May 10, 1999