Microsoft KB Archive/168857
Article ID: 168857
Article Last Modified on 10/28/2006
- Microsoft Exchange Server 4.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Exchange Server 5.0 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q168857
When you start the Microsoft Mail Connector Interchange (MSMI) service, the following error message may appear:
The following event appears in the Event Viewer Application log:
Event ID: 2302 Source: Service Control Manager Category: None Type: Error Description: MS Mail Connector Interchange has failed to start the mailer component. Return code from mailer is 0x2 and the return code Win32 is 0x20.
The description may also state:
The MS Mail Connector Interchange service terminated with service- specific error 105. Check that MSMI Service Account has access permission on the Microsoft Mail Connector postoffice share.
The files Inqueue3.key and/or Inqueue3.mbg may be locked.
To resolve this problem:
- Verify that the file Inqueue3.key or Inqueue3.mbg (or both) is locked. Shut down the Microsoft Mail Connector Interchange (MSMI) and all other PCMTA services (PCMTA and AppleTalk or ATMTA). Check the files Inqueue3.key and Inqueue3.mbg on the shadow postoffice located at <drive>:\Exchsrvr\Connect\Msmcon\Maildata in the Key and Mbg subdirectories respectively, to see if the file or files can be copied or renamed.
NOTE: If the files cannot be copied or renamed, proceed to the next step.
- Set the MSMI and all PCMTA services to manual, and restart the server.
- Verify that the files Inqueue3.key and/or Inqueue3.mbg are not locked.
- Start the MSMI and all other PCMTA services, and set the Startup Type on these services to Automatic.
NOTE: The MS Mail PCMTA services are named by the Exchange Server Administrator operator. To determine what the PCMTA services were named, in the Exchange Server Administrator program open the MS Mail Connector properties and select the Connector MTAs tab. The PCMTA services are located in the MS Mail Connector (PC) MTA Services field.
Recycling or restarting the server will unlock the Inqueue3.key and Inqueue3.mbg files.
Additional query words: terminated service-specific
Keywords: kbprb kbusage KB168857