Microsoft KB Archive/168739
Article ID: 168739
Article Last Modified on 10/28/2006
- Microsoft Exchange Server 4.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q168739
The Information Store does not start. You may see one or more of the following symptoms:
- You see Error 2182 when attempting to start Information Store.
- The Microsoft Exchange Information Store service in Control Panel Services status is blank, but when you attempt to start it, you get Error 2182, stating "The requested services is already started."
- When you attempt to stop one or more of the Microsoft Exchange services in Control Panel Services, there is an error message stating "Service could not be controlled in its present state."
To resolve this problem:
- Note startup parameters of all Microsoft Exchange Services in Control Panel Services.
- Change all Microsoft Exchange Services startup parameters to Manual.
- Stop and restart the server.
- Start the services in the following order
Microsoft Exchange System Attendant
Microsoft Exchange Directory
Microsoft Exchange Information Store
Microsoft Exchange Message Transfer Agent,
Microsoft Mail Connector Interchange
and so on... PCMTA, Directory Sync, IMC, Schedule+ Free Busy Connector
- Change all Microsoft Exchange Services Startup parameters back to the previous startup parameter prior to changing to Manual.
This error may also be generated after an ungraceful shutdown of Exchange Server, or after the Information Store stops responding due to lack of disk space. After disk space is reclaimed you may also experience the above symptoms.
For additional information, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
163913 IS or DS Stops Due To Lack of Drive Space for Log Files
Additional query words: crash hang
Keywords: kbusage KB168739