Microsoft KB Archive/168730
The Pcl5ms.dll File on the Supplemental Printer Disk Is Needed
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Windows NT Server version 4.0
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation version 4.0
After you downloading and extract the Nt4dsk2.exe file, the following error messages may be displayed during printer driver installation:
The file "PCL5MS.DLL" on Supplemental Printer Disk for NT 4.0 is needed.
Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK.
If the correct path is entered and you click OK, the following error message appears:
The files installed are not valid for the selected architecture.
If you click Cancel, the operation is canceled. If you click Retry, the same process begins again.
The behavior can occur for the following reasons:
- Multiple copies of the Pcl5ms.dll file exist on the computer. Usually, this is an indication that Nt4dsk2.exe has been run multiple times, possibly in different locations.
- The Nt4dsk2.exe file has not been extracted properly.
To resolve this issue, use the following steps:
- Delete all copies of the Pcl5ms.dll file.
- In the folder containing the Nt4dsk2.exe file, delete all the files except the Nt4dsk2.exe file.
- In the Printers folder, remove all currently installed printers.
- Delete all the files and folders in the Winnt\system32\spool\ drivers\w32x86 folder.
- In Control Panel, double-click Services, and stop the Spooler service.
- Restart the computer.
- Start a command prompt. In the folder containing the Nt4dsk2.exe file, type the following line:
- Double-click Add Printer in the Printers folder to install a new printer.
The Nt4dsk2.exe file is part of the Windows NT 4.0 Driver Library and contains drivers for the following Hewlett-Packard printers:
- DeskJet 850C
- DeskJet 855C
- DeskJet 855Cse
- DeskJet 855Cxi
- DeskJet 870C
- DeskJet 870Cse
- DeskJet 870Cxi
- PaintJet XL 300.
For additional information, see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q142643 Windows NT 4.0 Driver Library
Keywords : kberrmsg kbprint ntprint
Version : 4.0
Platform : WINDOWS
Issue type :
Last Reviewed: February 17, 1999