Microsoft KB Archive/108329
XL5: Cannot Use & Character as Accelerator Key in Dialog Box
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Excel for Windows, version 5.0
In Microsoft Excel 5.0, because ampersand is used internally to mark the next character as the accelerator, it is not possible to use an ampersand (&) as an accelerator character.
Steps to Reproduce Behavior
- Start Microsoft Excel.
- From the Insert menu, choose Macro, and then choose Dialog.
- On the dialog sheet, use the check box button on the Forms toolbar to draw a check box.
- Change the box text to "Test&Bar" (without the quotation marks).
- Select the check box
- From the Format menu, choose Object
- Make the accelerator key the ampersand (&) character.
- To run the dialog box, choose Run Dialog from the Tools menu.
The letter B of Test&Bar is accelerated instead of the & character
Additional query words: dialog box amphasize alt keyboard
Version : 5.00
Platform : WINDOWS
Issue type :
Last Reviewed: April 9, 1999