Microsoft KB Archive/107991
Article ID: 107991
Article Last Modified on 10/28/2003
- Microsoft Visual Basic 2.0 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 3.0 Professional Edition
This article was previously published under Q107991
Under certain conditions, running the Professional Edition of Visual Basic version 2.0 or 3.0 can give the following sequence of two error messages:
- License file for custom control not found. You do not have an appropriate license to use this custom control in the design environment.
- Can't load Custom Control DLL: 'D:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSOUTLIN.VBX'
This can be caused by an old VB.LIC file. This is commonly caused by installing the Visual Control Pack after installing Visual Basic for Windows.
To work around this problem, decompress the VB.LIC file from your master diskettes for Visual Basic version 3.0.
The PACKING.LST file on master disk number 1 describes on which disk to obtain VB.LIC. PACKING.LST describes how to decompress VB.LIC. Replace your current VB.LIC file with the decompressed VB.LIC from the master disk.
This behavior is by design.
For more information about the VB.LIC file, query on the following words in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
License and VB.LIC and Visual and Basic
Microsoft Visual Control Pack (VCP)
If you have the Professional edition of Microsoft Visual Basic version 2.0 or 3.0 for Windows, you have everything that the Microsoft Visual Control Pack (VCP) contains and more.
All controls, tools, and documentation shipped with the Microsoft Visual Control Pack are identical to those same controls, tools, and documentation shipped with the Professional Edition of Microsoft Visual Basic versions 2.0 for Windows, with two exceptions:
- A new copy of the MSCOMM.VBX custom control that works with Visual C++ version 1.0 comes with the Visual Control Pack version 1.0.
- Enhanced Control Development Kit (CDK) documentation including helpful hints on creating custom controls for use with Microsoft Visual C++ version 1.0 comes with the Visual Control Pack version 1.0.
Additional query words: 2.00 3.00
Keywords: kbprb KB107991