Microsoft KB Archive/107834
XL5: Arrow Keys Inactive in an Object Link Edit Box
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Excel for Windows, versions 5.0, 5.0c
When you select an object (such as a check box) that uses a linked edit box with a cell reference, you cannot use the arrow keys to change the reference in the cell link.
You will not be able to use the arrow keys to change the cell link because, when an object has been selected, there is no active cell.
Certain objects, such as check boxes or drop-down boxes, allow cell links to be assigned to them so that a reference on a worksheet can be linked to that object.
When you try to assign or change the cell link for these objects, you must either type the cell reference in the cell link box or select the cells with the mouse.
Steps to Reproduce Behavior
- Draw a check box using the Forms toolbar.
- Select the check box.
- From the Format menu, choose Object.
- Select the Control tab.
- On the Control tab, select the Cell Link box.
- Use the mouse to select a cell on the worksheet.
- Press arrow keys on the keyboard to change the cell reference.
Note that you are unable to change the linked cell address by pressing the arrow keys.
Additional query words:
Version : 5.00 5.00c
Platform : WINDOWS
Issue type :
Last Reviewed: April 8, 1999