Microsoft KB Archive/107537
Article ID: 107537
Article Last Modified on 8/16/2005
- Microsoft Word 6.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Word 6.0a
- Microsoft Word 6.0c
- Microsoft Word 95 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Graph 3.0
- Microsoft Graph 3.0a
- Microsoft Graph 3.0b
- Microsoft Graph 5.0
This article was previously published under Q107537
If you select numbers in a Word for Windows table and then start Microsoft Graph, a default data sheet and chart may appear instead of a custom chart of your data.
This behavior occurs because Microsoft Graph interprets parentheses as text characters, not as the designation for negative numbers. For example, if your data includes a negative number such as (34), Microsoft Graph does not use your data, and uses the default chart instead. By contrast, if your negative numbers contain a minus sign (-) instead of parentheses, Microsoft Graph plots the data correctly.
Note that if any part of your selection contains text (that is, any non numeric character except "-" or "+") instead of numeric data, Microsoft Graph uses the default chart.
To work around this behavior, do any of the following:
Method 1: You can copy your table to the default chart. Before running Graph, follow these steps:
- Highlight your table, and choose Copy from the Edit menu.
- Choose the Insert Chart button on the Standard toolbar.
- Highlight the cells in the default chart and choose Clear from the Edit menu.
- In the default chart, highlight the corresponding rows and columns into which you want to paste your information.
- From the Edit menu, choose Paste .
NOTE: The numbers that were originally in parentheses are converted to minus signs in the Microsoft Graph datasheet. Your original table is unchanged. You can modify the format of the number by choosing Number from the Format menu while editing the Chart.
- Choose the Graph menus to make other modifications or selections for your chart.
Method 2: Replace the parentheses in your table with minus signs and restart Graph.
We are researching this problem and will post new information here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base as it becomes available.
"Microsoft Word User's Guide," version 6.0, chapter 27, "WordArt, Equation Editor, and Graph," "Graph" section
Additional query words: 3.0 5.0 6.0 7.0 word95 ole applet mini-app server default winword parentheses negative table parenthesis minus subtract subtraction chartwizard chart wizard msgraph word7 word6 mschart w4wole