Microsoft KB Archive/107502
How to Uninstall MasterWord by ALKI Software
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Word for Windows, versions 2.0, 2.0a, 2.0a-CD, 2.0b, 2.0c, 6.0, 6.0a, 6.0c
MasterWord is an add-on program produced by ALKI software that enhances the functionality of Word for Windows, adding additional tools, toolbar buttons, and additional online help enhancements. MasterWord includes the following enhancements and tools:
- Versatile and customizable floating toolbar
- Customizable keyboard assignments of up to four letters long
- MasterWord Manager, allowing ease in moving or copying of macros, styles and glossaries
- Additional, useful macros
- Extended File command capabilities such as additional features added to the File Open command
- Template selector with additional buttons to choose desired templates
- Built-in button editor
MasterWord installs a host of files onto your hard drive that will rename WINWORD.HLP, WINHELP.EXE, and four DLL files that are installed into the Windows directory. If rather than disabling an individual feature you want to uninstall all of MasterWord, follow these steps:
- Delete the contents of the MasterWord program directory (by default, C:\MASTER).
- Delete the contents of the TEMPLATE subdirectory of the MasterWord program directory.
- Delete from the C:\WINWORD\TEMPLATES directory the LANGUAGE.DOT, CONTROL.DOT, AND HANDY.DOT files. In Word version 2.x these files are found in the Word program directory.
- Delete the WINWORD.HLP, CMDREF.HLP, AND MWTOOLS.HLP files from the Word program directory. Then restore the original version of the Word for Windows help file, either by renaming the file WINWORD0.HLP to WINWORD.HLP or by running Word's Setup program. (You are able to use the rename method only if you instructed MasterWord's Setup program to rename rather than delete Word's original help.)
- Delete the following files from your Windows directory: MWAPPLIB.DLL, BUTTONED.DLL, MWHELP.DLL, AMAKEDIR.DLL, AND PATHBUTT.DLL.
- If you are using Windows 3.0 rather than Windows 3.1, you may want to restore the 3.0 version of the Help program. To do this, delete WINHELP.EXE and WINHELP.HLP from your Windows directory, then rename the WINHELP.EX1 file WINHELP.EXE, and rename the WINHELP.HL1 file WINHELP.HLP. (This only works if MasterWord's Setup program renamed the files in the first place.)
- Delete the NORMAL.DOT file in your Word directory, unless it contains non-MasterWord macros and assignments that you want to retain. If you want to keep your NORMAL.DOT file, delete from it the MasterWord macros listed in Chapter 6. You can also use the instructions on page 155 to remove unwanted menu and Toolbar assignments.
The MasterWord products included here are manufactured by ALKI, a vendor independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.
"MasterWord Tools and Help," page 158, "Unistalling MasterWord"
Additional query words: 2.0 6.0 word6 winword winword2 master
Keywords : kbproof
Issue type : kbhowto
Last Reviewed: November 4, 2000