Microsoft KB Archive/107440
Pictures in the Text Layer Won't Display or Print
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Word for Windows, version 6.0
Word for Windows pictures that are in the text layer may not display or print if the Drawing Objects option is cleared. (To locate the Drawing Objects option, choose Options from the Tools menu, and select the Print tab.)
The Drawing Objects option is designed to allow or inhibit printing of drawing objects that are in the drawing layer. However, there is a problem in Word that causes picture objects in the text layer to not display or print if they are edited when this option is cleared.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Microsoft Word for Windows. We are researching this problem and will post new information here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base as it becomes available.
In Word 6.0, "pictures" and "drawing objects" are two different things. Word pictures or picture objects are graphics/drawings that are rendered in the text layers of the document. Drawing objects are graphics/drawings that are rendered in the drawing layers of the document.
Word pictures are created in one of three ways:
- By inserting a piece of clip art and then double-clicking it to make changes.
- By choosing Microsoft Word 6.0 Picture from the Insert Object dialog box.
- By creating a drawing object in the drawing layer, selecting it, and choosing the Create Picture button on the drawing toolbar.
The Drawing Objects option in the Print tab of the Options dialog box was meant to inhibit printing of drawing objects only. The fact that it affects the rendering and printing of Word pictures is a problem in Word.
- From the Tools menu, choose Options. Select the Print tab.
- In the Include With Document box, select Drawing Objects. Choose OK.
- For each object that does not display or print, double-click it to activate it. When it displays in a Picture editing window, select something in the drawing by clicking and then choose Close Picture. Now the object will display and print.
- If you do not want the drawing objects to print, when you are ready to print, go back to the Print tab and clear the Drawing Objects option. Do not activate or modify any pictures while this option is selected.
Additional query words: 6.0 view see winword word6
Keywords : kbole
Issue type :
Last Reviewed: November 4, 2000