Microsoft KB Archive/107414
Article ID: 107414
Article Last Modified on 8/16/2005
- Microsoft Publisher 3.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Publisher 2.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Publisher 2.0a
This article was previously published under Q107414
If you set up the NORMAL.PUB file with a printer other than the Control Panel default printer and then create a new publication, Publisher will ignore the Control Panel's settings.
The NORMAL.PUB file is used for object formatting only, such as default font choices in text frames, and line color and thickness choices for drawn shapes. It does not store document settings, such as printer type or orientation.
STEPS TO RE-CREATE THE PROBLEM
- Set the Control Panel's default printer to a HP LaserJet Series II printer in portrait mode.
- Create a NORMAL.PUB file in the TEMPLATE directory, and set the target printer as a HP Desk Jet 500C in landscape mode.
- Create a new Publication.
RESULT: The printer for the new publication is set to the HP LJ II in portrait mode.
Because the NORMAL.PUB file is intended for object attribute settings only, (not document settings), changes in the printer setup information are ignored.
The only way to change the default printer for all publications is through the Windows Control Panel. However, to configure a document in Publisher for a specific purpose, a document containing layout details and printer defaults may be saved as a template.
Additional query words: 2.0 mspub 2.00a pub3 pub97
Keywords: kbprint kbtemplate kbprb KB107414