Microsoft KB Archive/106517
Setup Hangs with NEC Ultralight Versalinear Display
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Windows versions 3.1, 3.11
- Microsoft Windows for Workgroups version 3.1
If the NEC Ultralight Versalinear display driver is installed when you run the upgrade setup program for Windows or Windows for Workgroups, Setup may stop responding (hang) when you switch from MS-DOS mode to the graphical Windows mode portion.
The NEC Ultralight Versalinear display driver is designed to run only in 386 enhanced mode Windows. Since the graphical portion of Setup runs in standard mode, Setup hangs when this display driver is installed. The behavior of the Versalinear driver is similar to that of the ATI Mach 32 driver. The Versalinear may or may not display a warning message indicating that the driver requires 386 enhanced mode.
To successfully run Setup, do the following:
- Run Setup from Disk 1.
- From the Setup screen, choose Custom Setup.
- On the System Information screen, change the display type from Ultralight Versalinear to VGA.
- Continue through Setup. Once Setup is finished, run Setup within Windows and change the display back to Ultralight Versalinear.
The Ultralight Versalinear is manufactured by NEC, a vendor independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.
Additional query words: 3.10 3.1 3.11 versa linear AT&T freeze frozen hung crash pad ultra light
Issue type :
Technology : kbAudDeveloper kbWin3xSearch kbWFWSearch kbWin310 kbWin311 kbWFW310
Last Reviewed: January 8, 2000