Microsoft KB Archive/106219
TIFF Image Prints with a Vertical Line on Some HP LaserJets
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Windows versions 3.1, 3.11
- Microsoft Windows for Workgroups versions 3.1, 3.11
- Microsoft Word for Windows, versions 2.0, 2.0a, 2.0a-CD, 2.0b, 2.0c, 6.0, 6.0a
- Microsoft PowerPoint for Windows, version 3.0
When you print a scaled TIFF image from Word for Windows to a Hewlett- Packard (HP) LaserJet III or 4 printer, a vertical line may print on the left side of the TIFF image when you are using certain printer drivers. (The line may also appear on the right side, or at a corner.)
This problem occurs when you are using any version of the HPPCL5A.DRV or HPPCL5E.DRV (except 31.1.26) drivers. The following is a list of the affected printers and driver versions:
- HPPCL5A.DRV - (ships with Windows 3.1 and Word 2.0)
Printers Affected: III, IIID, IIISi, and IIIP
Driver version(s): 31.3.89
- HPPCL5E.DRV - (available from HP)
Printers affected: 4, 4L, 4M, 4Si, 4SiMX, 4ML, and 4P
Driver versions: 31.1.03, 31.1.08, 31.1.12a, 31.1.18, 31.1.20, and 31.1.25
- Tektronics Phaser II postscript driver 3.58.(Apple LaserWriter II NT has been used as a workaround.)
The vertical line does not print if you use the HP LaserJet Series III printer driver version 2.1 (HPPCL5MS.DRV) or the LaserJet 4 printer driver version 31.1.26 (HPPCL5E.DRV).
Use one of the workarounds below:
- If you are using a LaserJet III, obtain its newest printer driver, HPPCL5MS.DRV version 2.1.
- If you are using a LaserJet 4, obtain its newest printer driver, HPPCL5E.DRV version 31.1.26, which is available from Hewlett-Packard.
- Scale the graphic to a different size. The vertical line prints only at certain horizontal-vertical size ratios. Slightly increasing or decreasing one of these dimensions may prevent the vertical line from printing.
- From the Format menu, choose Picture and crop 0.01 inch from the area where the line appears.
This is a problem in the original LaserJet III (HPPCL5A.DRV) driver code. The same code was also used in the LaserJet 4 (HPPCL5E.DRV) driver. The new LaserJet III driver (HPPCL5MS.DRV) does not use any of the old code and therefore the problem does not occur with that driver.
HP has confirmed this to be a problem when you print TIFF or PCX images using the printer drivers listed above. For more information, contact Hewlett-Packard Technical Support or access the HPPER forum on CompuServe.
Additional query words: w4wprint 2.00a 2.00a-CD 2.00b 2.00c macppt winppt wfw wfwg
Version : WINDOWS:2.0,2.0a,2.0a-CD,2.0b,2.0c,3.0,3.1,3.11,6.0,6.0a
Platform : WINDOWS
Issue type :
Last Reviewed: December 2, 1999