Microsoft KB Archive/105809
Article ID: 105809
Article Last Modified on 10/13/2003
- Microsoft Windows for Workgroups 3.1
- Microsoft Windows for Workgroups 3.11
This article was previously published under Q105809
The following error message may occur when you load the Windows for Workgroups NET command:
The above error message is displayed when PROTMAN.DOS does not load. The following are some reasons why PROTMAN.DOS may not load:
- The line DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\PROTMAN.DOS /I:C:\WINDOWS is not in the CONFIG.SYS file or is remarked out.
- The /I: parameter does not point to the location where PROTOCOL.INI is stored.
- If you are using DoubleSpace, the DEVICE command for DoubleSpace may be located after the DEVICE command for PROTMAN.DOS in the CONFIG.SYS file.
If you upgraded to Windows for Workgroups 3.11, it is possible that the Setup program did not correctly update the NET.EXE file. This error occurs if the version 3.1 NET.EXE file is used with version 3.11. The correct NET.EXE file for Windows for Workgroup 3.11 has this file stamp:
NET.EXE 433,829 11/1/93 3:11:00AM
- If the NETADDRESS line in the PROTOCOL.INI file is entered incorrectly when you are using token ring network interface cards.
- The PROTOCOL.INI file is corrupted. Rename the file and reinstall the network driver through Windows for Workgroups.
PROTMAN.DOS should display an error message at startup that may help indicate what is causing the problem. If you have MS-DOS 6.0, you can view what error message is being displayed when PROTMAN.DOS loads by pressing the F8 function key. If you do NOT have MS-DOS 6.0, insert a PAUSE line at the top of the AUTOEXEC.BAT file.
Additional query words: 3.10 3.11