Microsoft KB Archive/105747
Article ID: 105747
Article Last Modified on 9/30/2003
- Microsoft LAN Manager 2.2 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q105747
You receive this error while trying to access voice files from a shared LAN Manager server directory using VPLAY.EXE:
The keyboard freezes and you must hard boot to resume.
Concurrent operations being performed by the Sound Blaster Pro card and network adapter card create a timing conflict.
Protocol analyzer traces show this sequence:
- The client sends a Server Message Block (SMB) C read byte range.
- The server responds with an SMB read byte range response.
- The server sends NETBIOS data frames until failure occurs.
- The client fails to respond to the server; the redirector receives no acknowledgment due to a transport/media access failure.
- The system returns then fails and generates a NET 810 error.
COMNDIS.COM is a terminate-and-stay-resident (TSR) program (included on your LAN Manager 2.2 installation disks) that prevents multiple processes from accessing the adapter card while it is handling an MS-DOS command.
Run setup and install COMNDIS.COM into the \LANMAN.DOS\NETPROG directory. To Autoexec.bat, add the line
where X is the interrupt setting used by the installed network adapter. Add this after netbind, if present, and before netstarting the workstation.
The problem was documented on this configuration:
IBM PS/2 8590 486/33 computer
TokenRing adapters including IBM TR 16/4, Proteon and Madge
NetBEUI or TCP/IP protocol
LAN Manager 2.2 Enhanced
Creative Labs SoundBlaster Pro Adapter and software
Additional query words: 2.20
Keywords: kbprb KB105747