Microsoft KB Archive/105705
Cannot Print Envelope with the Windows Printing System
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Word for Windows, versions 6.0, 6.0a, 6.0c
- Microsoft Windows Printing System, version 1.0
If you print an envelope from Word for Windows to a Hewlett-Packard (HP) LaserJet printer that has a Windows Printing System (WPS) cartridge installed or to a Lexmark Winwriter 600, any of the following incorrect results may occur:
- A blank envelope prints.
- WPS ignores your Paper Source settings. For example, instead of feeding an envelope from the MP tray on the HP LaserJet Series IIIP printer, it feeds a standard 8.5-inch-by-11-inch page from the paper tray.
- The print job stalls, and you must delete it in Print Manager to print subsequent print jobs.
- Word hangs (stops responding).
This problem does not occur when you print an envelope in Word version 2.x for Windows.
This is usually caused by an incorrect configuration of Word and the printer.
- From the Tools menu, choose Options.
- Choose the Print tab.
- Change the Default Tray selection at the bottom to read: From Control Panel.
At this point, you should be able to print to any of the Windows Printing System supported envelopes.
Additional query words: 6.0 winword wps 3.10 3.11 1.0 wfw wfwg 3.1 win31 hp2 hpii hp3 hpiii hp lj HPIIIP hang hung crash word6 crashed locks locked frozen
Keywords : kbprint
Issue type :
Technology : kbWordSearch kbWordWSearch
Last Reviewed: November 4, 2000