Microsoft KB Archive/105702
AutoFormat Command Removes Hidden Text Formatting
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Word for Windows, version 6.0
In Word for Windows, text that is formatted as hidden will change to nonhidden text when you apply AutoFormat to that text.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Word for Windows version 6.0. This problem was corrected in Word for Windows version 6.0a. This problem does not occur in Word version 6.0 for the Macintosh.
There are two methods to prevent hidden text from changing to nonhidden when you apply AutoFormat.
- From the Tools menu, choose Options.
- Select the View tab. Under Nonprinting Characters, select the Hidden Text check box. Choose OK.
- Select the text before the hidden text in the document.
- Apply AutoFormat by choosing AutoFormat from the Format menu.
- Select the text after the hidden text in the document.
- Apply AutoFormat to that selected text.
- Define the hidden text with a style that is NOT one of the automatic styles.
- From the Tools Menu, choose Options. Select the AutoFormat tab. Under Preserve, clear the Previously Applied Styles check box.
- Apply AutoFormatting.
Additional query words: 6.0 winword word6
Keywords : kbformat
Issue type :
Last Reviewed: November 4, 2000