Microsoft KB Archive/105517
Article ID: 105517
Article Last Modified on 1/26/2005
- Microsoft Access 1.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Access 1.1 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Access 2.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Access 95 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Excel 3.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Excel 4.0 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q105517
Advanced: Requires expert coding, interoperability, and multiuser skills.
This article describes how to use the release of Q+E that is included with Microsoft Excel versions 3.0 and 4.0 to view data from the sample Pubs database that is supplied with Microsoft SQL Server.
You can use Q+E to troubleshoot ODBC problems with connecting to SQL Server data sources. Because Q+E does not use ODBC to connect to SQL Server, it can be used to help diagnose connection problems.
If you are unable to connect to a SQL Server data source using either ODBC or Q+E, there may be a problem with the network (NETAPI.DLL) or with the server itself.
Q+E is a database application that you can use to manipulate and update database files from a variety of database systems, including Microsoft SQL Server. An abbreviated version of Q+E is included with Microsoft Excel versions 3.0 and 4.0.
The following example demonstrates how to view the contents of the Authors table in the sample Pubs database that is supplied with SQL Server:
- Start Q+E and click Logon on the File menu.
- In the Sources list, select SQL Server, and then click OK.
- In the Server Name box, type the name of the server that contains the tables you want to use.
- In the Login ID box, type your SQL Server login name.
NOTE: The system administrator is typically "sa."
- In the Password box, type the password for the user entered in the Login ID box.
- Click OK.
- On the File menu, click Open.
- In the Owner List box, select Pubs, and then click OK.
- In the Table List box, select Authors, and then click OK. Note that the Authors table is displayed in a window similar to the Microsoft Access Datasheet view.
Q+E is manufactured by Pioneer Software Systems, a vendor independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.
Microsoft Excel "Q+E for Microsoft Excel User's Guide," version 3.0, Appendix C
Microsoft Excel "Q+E for Microsoft Excel User's Guide," version 4.0, Appendix D
Additional query words: kbinterop
Keywords: kbhowto kbinterop kb3rdparty KB105517