Microsoft KB Archive/105245
ClipBook May Not Be Able to Save Files to Large Directory Name
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Windows NT Server version 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation version 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server, version 3.1
In Windows NT, if you attempt to save a file from ClipBook Viewer to an NTFS directory with a 128-character or larger name, the file will not be saved and you may receive the following error message:
An error has occurred. ClipBook Viewer cannot complete this procedure.
Save the file to another directory and then copy the file to the directory with the long name using File Manager or another utility.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Windows NT version 3.1 and Windows NT Advanced Server version 3.1. We are researching this problem and will post new information here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base as it becomes available.
Steps to Reproduce Problem
- Use the File Manager to create a directory with a 128-character or larger name on an NTFS partition.
- Copy some text to the Clipboard using a text editor, such as Notepad.
- Open the ClipBook Viewer and attempt to save the contents of the clipboard to the long NTFS directory.
The above error message appears.
Additional query words: prodnt
Keywords : kbtool
Issue type :
Technology : kbWinNTsearch kbWinNTWsearch kbWinNTW310 kbWinNTSsearch kbWinNTS310 kbWinNTAdvSerSearch kbWinNTAdvServ310 kbWinNTS310xsearch kbWinNT310xSearch kbWinNTW310Search
Last Reviewed: October 27, 2000