Microsoft KB Archive/105191
Some Information Not Migrated When Installed Over Windows 3.x
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Windows NT Server version 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation version 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server, version 3.1
When you install Windows NT over earlier versions of Windows 3.0 or 3.1 or Windows for Workgroups, some information is not migrated into the Windows NT environment because the migration is not compatible or could potentially cause problems.
The following information is not migrated from Windows 3.0 and 3.1 into the Windows NT environment:
- [Ports], [Devices], and [PrinterPorts] sections of WIN.INI. These may actually be migrated during the first stage of migration, but Windows NT ignores them.
- Persistent shares and users from Windows for Workgroups.
- Per user profiles maintained by WINLOGIN.
- Default domain and user ID from Windows for Workgroups or the LANMAN.INI file.
- Any changes made to the Main, Startup, Games, and Accessories groups in Windows 3.0 and 3.1.
- MS-DOS drive letters. Drive letters should be configured using Windows NT Disk Administrator.
- The Program Manager Auto Arrange, Minimize on Run, and Save Settings on Exit options from PROGMAN.INI are not migrated because the Windows NT Program Manager stores these in the Registry as REG_DWORD instead of as text strings.
- Font information for character mode command windows.
- The Startup Group is not migrated, it must be recreated.
For additional information on migration, query on the following words in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
migrate and windows
Additional query words: wfw wfwg prodnt
Keywords : kbsetup
Issue type :
Technology : kbWinNTsearch kbWinNTWsearch kbWinNTW310 kbWinNTSsearch kbWinNTS310 kbWinNTAdvSerSearch kbWinNTAdvServ310 kbWinNTS310xsearch kbWinNT310xSearch kbWinNTW310Search
Last Reviewed: October 27, 2000