Microsoft KB Archive/105180
Adaptec 1540B SCSI Requires Update for 1GB or Larger Hard Disk
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Windows NT Server version 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation version 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server, version 3.1
The Adaptec 1540B SCSI host adapter requires firmware revision 3.20 when used with 1GB or larger hard disks.
Symptoms of not having firmware revision 3.20 may include the following:
- The computer does not recognize the disk.
- The disk formats to less than 1GB.
- Windows NT reports "Inaccessible boot device" or hangs during boot.
There are two ways to determine if firmware revision 3.20 is installed:
- Cold boot the computer and read the version displayed by the Adaptec BIOS.
- Pull the card out of the computer and inspect the chips.
To inspect the card for firmware revision 3.20 look on the component side of the card with the ISA connector on the bottom.
- The chip on the lower-right should be number BD00.
- The chip in the middle-left should be number 3054.
If either of these numbers is different, the firmware revision 3.20 is not installed.
For further information or to obtain this update, please call Adaptec Technical Support at 1-800-959-7274.
The Adaptec products included here are manufactured by a vendor independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding these products' performance or reliability.
Additional query words: prodnt
Keywords : kbhw
Issue type :
Technology : kbWinNTsearch kbWinNTWsearch kbWinNTW310 kbWinNTSsearch kbWinNTS310 kbWinNTAdvSerSearch kbWinNTAdvServ310 kbWinNTS310xsearch kbWinNT310xSearch kbWinNTW310Search
Last Reviewed: October 27, 2000