Microsoft KB Archive/105057
Article ID: 105057
Article Last Modified on 11/1/2006
- Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.1
This article was previously published under Q105057
When you are sharing a network printer and one of the computers on the network locks up or is taken off the network, the computers connected to that computer do not receive errors messages when they try to print.
Also, when print jobs are waiting on that computer, there will be a beep every 25 seconds.
The down-level print job is not detecting a printer problem on the computer, because a connection has already been established. The computer is not able to report that there is a problem with its connection with the network printer to the other computers connected to it. The application printing on another computer only sees the printer as offline and continues to send print jobs.
Do the following to remove the print jobs:
- From Print Manager, choose Printer.
- Select Purge Printer or Remove Printer.
The print jobs will be lost and will need to be sent to the printer again.
NOTE: If you try to reestablish the network connection, an application error may occur and close the spooler. To restore the spooler, shut down and restart Windows NT.
Steps to Reproduce Problem
- From Print Manager, choose Create Printer.
- Add a printer name and choose the printer driver that is on the print server you are redirecting to.
- In the Print To box, select Network Printer and choose Local Port.
- Insert the network printer share name that you want to print to from this computer.
- Select the "Share this Printer on the Network" check box and share it as TEST.
- From another computer, choose Printer in Print Manager, and then select Connect To Printer.
- Once the connection is made, use Notepad or Write to print.
- To simulate the network going down or other errors, from the first computer, choose Properties in Print Manager, and then select Print To and choose any available LPT port.
From the second computer, all down-level print jobs will continue to print and remain in Print Manager as offline. A beep will also occur every 25 seconds on the first computer.
Additional query words: prodnt
Keywords: kbprint KB105057