Microsoft KB Archive/104771
MIDI Problems with ProAudio Spectrum 16
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Windows NT Server version 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation version 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server, version 3.1
After you load the ProAudio Spectrum 16 driver and restart Windows NT, you may receive a Service Control Manager error message referring you to the Event Viewer. The Event Viewer message states that a MIDI driver is not installed or configured correctly or "Can't find OPL Synthesizer." This error message does not necessarily prevent you from playing .WAV files.
In order to play MIDI files with the ProAudio Spectrum 16 card, you must have the Media Vision OPL3 FM Synthesizer Driver loaded. The OPL3 FM Synthesizer Driver should load automatically when the Pro Audio Spectrum 16 driver is loaded, although in some cases, the OPL3 FM Synthesizer Driver is not loaded successfully.
Following are possible work arounds:
- Verify that MVI OPL3 is the current selection in MIDI Mapper.
- Verify that MIDI Synthesizer is not loaded in Control Panel, Drivers.
- Remove the Pro Audio Spectrum 16 driver, then reinstall the driver.
- Add the FMClockOverride setting to the Windows NT Registry. Media Vision has confirmed incompatibilities between unspecified motherboard chip sets and the chip sets on the Pro Audio Spectrum 16 card. Differences in oscillator speed, which is responsible for FM synthesis, can cause inconsistencies in sound quality. Adding the FMClockOverride parameter may solve this problem.
WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious, system- wide problems that may require you to reinstall Windows NT to correct them. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use this tool at your own risk.
- Run REGEDT32.EXE.
Select the following subkey:
- From the Edit menu, choose Add Value.
The parameters for the new value should be the following:
Value Name: FMClockOverride (case sensitive)
Data Type: REG_DWORD
NOTE: Media Vision only supports the Pro Audio Spectrum 16 adapter in computers with bus speed set to 8 megahertz. Bus speed is not the same as CPU speed.
The Pro Audio Spectrum 16 is manufactured by Media Vision, a vendor independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding these products' performance or reliability.
To contact Media Vision Technical Support, please call (800) 638-2807.
Additional query words: prodnt sound midi
Keywords : kbhw
Issue type :
Technology : kbWinNTsearch kbWinNTWsearch kbWinNTW310 kbWinNTSsearch kbWinNTS310 kbWinNTAdvSerSearch kbWinNTAdvServ310 kbWinNTS310xsearch kbWinNT310xSearch kbWinNTW310Search
Last Reviewed: October 27, 2000