Microsoft KB Archive/104573
Errors Running Bookshelf93 Under Windows NT
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Windows NT Server version 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation version 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server, version 3.1
If you install Microsoft Bookshelf93 in Windows NT, only the User who installed the application will be able to run the program, even if common program groups are used.
If you attempt to start Bookshelf93 from another user account, the following error message appears:
Cannot find Viewer file. Make sure the correct disk and directory are specified.
If you attempt to start Bookshelf93 logged in as another User from the Microsoft Word for Windows tool bar icon, the following error message appears:
Word could not find a necessary Bookshelf file. Make sure the Word & Bookshelf disc is in the CD-ROM drive. If necessary, reinstall Word & Bookshelf.
When Bookshelf93 is installed, it creates a key called Files under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Viewer key in the Registry. This key contains references to the CD-ROM drive and libraries used by Bookshelf93. This key is only created for the current user.
To run Bookshelf93 from Program Manager, you need to edit the properties for each Bookshelf93 icon to include the full path to Bookshelf93 program files. To do so, use the following procedure:
- Highlight the Bookshelf93 icon in Program Manager.
- Choose Properties from the File menu.
Change the command line to reflect the path to the Bookshelf program files. For example, if it reads
change it to:
- Choose OK to save the changes to the icon.
- Repeat steps 1-4 for each icon that Bookshelf93 created.
To setup Bookshelf93 to run from Program Manager and from the Word for Windows tool bar, use the following procedure:
- Start Resgistry Editor (REGEDT32.EXE).
WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious, system-wide problems that may require you to reinstall Windows NT to correct them. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use this tool at your own risk.
Go to the following key:
- With the Files key highlighted, choose Save Key from the Registry menu.
- Type a file name (such as FILES.SAV).
- Choose OK.
Go to the following key:
- Choose Add Key from the Edit menu.
- For the Key Name, type Files.
- Leave the Class blank and choose OK.
- Highlight the new Files key.
- Choose Restore from the Registry menu.
- Select the name you used in step 4.
- Exit Registry Editor.
- Start User Manager from the Administrative Tools group in Program Manager.
- Create a new user.
The new user you just created and all further users you create will be able to access Bookshelf93. User accounts that already were set up before you performed this procedure will need to be recreated to access Bookshelf93.
Additional query words: prodnt Winword macro
Keywords : kbinterop
Issue type :
Technology : kbWinNTsearch kbWinNTWsearch kbWinNTW310 kbWinNTSsearch kbWinNTS310 kbWinNTAdvSerSearch kbWinNTAdvServ310 kbWinNTS310xsearch kbWinNT310xSearch kbWinNTW310Search
Last Reviewed: October 27, 2000