Microsoft KB Archive/104506
Import Picture Command Exits Publisher and ClipArt Gallery
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Windows 3.1
- Microsoft Publisher versions 2.0, 2.0a
- Microsoft PowerPoint for Windows, version 3.0
- Microsoft ClipArt Gallery
- Microsoft Draw
HiJaak Pro installs over 41 filters in the [MS Graphic Import Filters] section of the Win.ini file. This can cause problems with certain Microsoft applications, such as Microsoft Draw, Microsoft Publisher, and ClipArt Gallery.
Microsoft Publisher and ClipArt Gallery
- If you try to import a picture by choosing the Import Picture command from the File menu or by choosing the Import Picture icon and drawing a box, Publisher may quit unexpectedly and exit Windows without generating an error.
- If you try to start ClipArt Gallery or import a picture in it, ClipArt Gallery may quit without generating an error message. For example, you may be able to open ClipArt Gallery but not be able to import a picture, or you may be able to import a picture but not add one.
These problems are caused by communication with Commdlg.dll. Publisher needs to pass a string of filename extensions to Commdlg.dll. In some instances, this string becomes too long and the above behavior occurs.
NOTE: Publisher 2.0a no longer exits Windows when this condition exists. Instead, you may see a truncated listing of the file format extensions of the filters found in your [MS Graphic Import Filters] section. Publisher's communication with Commdlg.dll now truncates the list and prevents the unexpected exit problem.
Edit your Win.ini file and remove or remark out any filters that you do not use to reduce the entire list to fewer than 40 filters. To remove these lines, simply delete them. To remark out these lines, place a semicolon at the beginning of each one you want the system to ignore.
To edit the Win.ini file:
- In Program Manager, choose Run from the File menu.
- On the command line, type Win.ini and press ENTER.
- From the Search menu, choose Find.
- On the command line, type [MS Graphic Import Filters], and press ENTER.
- Press ESC key to remove the search window.
- Look through this section and remove (delete) or remark out (place a semicolon in front of the line) any filters you do not need or use. All the HiJaak filters start with "HJ." Below is a listing of all the HiJaak filters that are installed with HiJaak Pro.
In Microsoft Draw, you may receive an error message stating that you have too many filters installed and then Draw may quit. This problem is caused by a limitation in Draw, which can use only the first 15 filters it finds in the [MS Graphic Import Filters] section of the Win.ini file. If Draw finds more than 15 filters in this section, it does not use any of the filters in this section. Use the above steps to remove any unwanted or unused filters from the Win.ini file.
Additional query words: mspub w_draw w_cag win31 winppt macppt pub20 pub20a w_clipgal hijaack hijack
Keywords : kbinterop
Version : WINDOWS:2.0,2.0a,3.0,3.1; :
Platform : WINDOWS
Issue type :
Last Reviewed: January 6, 2000