Microsoft KB Archive/104398
Installing Macintosh PowerPoint 3.0 on a Network Server PSS ID Number: Q104398 Article last modified on 11-23-1994 PSS database name: POWERPT
|The information in this article applies to:|
|- Microsoft PowerPoint for the Macintosh, version 3.0|
Microsoft PowerPoint does not ship with an installer to use over a network server. To install a network version of the program, do the following:
- User 1 (for example, the system administrator) executes a complete installation of PowerPoint 3.0 to his or her local drive. NOTE: If User 1 wants to use the TrueType fonts supplied with PowerPoint, then these should be dragged to the System folder.
- User 1 creates a folder on the network server and moves the following items to this folder:
- PowerPoint executable
- PowerPoint Help
- PowerPoint Viewer
- All other items, specifically the items installed into the System Extensions folder, need to be placed in the System folder of each respective workstation. These are:
- Microsoft folder (containing Graph, Equation Editor, and Equation Editor Help)
- Shared Code Folder
- Shared Code Manager NOTE: User 1 may choose to place these items in a folder on the server for subsequent users to move to their respective workstations. You may want to give the folder a distinct name such as: “DRAG CONTENTS TO LOCAL SYSTEM FOLDER BEFORE RUNNING POWERPOINT.”
- User 2 will log onto the network server from his or her workstation and copy the items from step 3 above to his or her local System folder.
- User 2 will need to rebuild the desktop on his or her workstation by restarting the machine with both the OPTION and COMMAND keys held down. These keys must be depressed until a message to rebuild the desktop is released. At this point, the keys can be released and OK clicked.
- User 2 can NOW log onto the network server to run PowerPoint.
- If User 2 attempts to use Graph and receives a message “Sorry, MS Graph could not be started,” User 2 must do the following:
- Locate Microsoft Graph in the MS-Graph folder on the local drive.
- Double-click Microsoft Graph to run it.
- At the alert dialog box, click Yes.
- Return to PowerPoint and run Graph. The error message should not be generated.
If you have any further questions, call Microsoft Product Support at (206) 635-7145 between the hours of 6:00 AM and 6:00 PM Pacific time.
Information regarding Microsoft Graph can be obtained by querying on the following words in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
graph and start and alert
KBCategory: kbsetup kbnetwork KBSubcategory: Additional reference words: power point powerpt mac ppt new work setup network net installation setting up set powerpt
============================================================================= Copyright Microsoft Corporation 1994.