Microsoft KB Archive/104174
Article ID: 104174
Article Last Modified on 11/1/2006
- Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.1
This article was previously published under Q104174
When you are using the Windows NT Backup program, and you attempt to restore files from a backup, you may receive the following error message:
This error message may be caused by one of the following scenarios:
- The person who originally backed up the information specified to restrict access to the files to the owner and Administrator.
If this is the case, only the owner and Administrator will be able to restore the information.
- You are restoring to an NTFS drive and do not have the necessary rights to the directory to which you are restoring files.
With the backup program provided with Windows NT, you have the option to select an alternative path for the files to be placed during the restore process. Use File Manager to check the Security PermissFions setting to see if you have permissions to write to that directory.
- You are restoring the files into a directory in use by Windows NT.
For example, restoring files to the \TEMP directory that is in use by Windows NT will result in the above error.
- You are attempting to run Windows NT Backup and backup an individual file using the command-line syntax.
Windows NT Backup does not include command line functionality to specify individual files or groups of files using wildcard characters.
Additional query words: prodnt wild card