Microsoft KB Archive/104172
Article ID: 104172
Article Last Modified on 11/1/2006
- Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.1
This article was previously published under Q104172
In Windows NT, when you attempt to perform a DIR /D on an NTFS volume with a very long directory name, you may receive the following error message:
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Windows NT version 3.1 and Windows NT Advanced Server version 3.1. We are researching this problem and will post new information here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base as it becomes available.
Steps to Reproduce Problem
- On an NTFS partition, create a subdirectory with a name of 245 characters or more.
- In the Main group window, double-click the Command Prompt icon, or use the arrow keys to select the Command Prompt icon, and then press ENTER.
- Type DIR /D and press ENTER.
The above error message will appear.
Additional query words: prodnt err msg
Keywords: kbother KB104172