Microsoft KB Archive/103942
Article ID: 103942
Article Last Modified on 10/27/2006
- Microsoft SNA Server 2.0
- Microsoft SNA Server 2.1
This article was previously published under Q103942
After you install and configure an SNA Server 802.2 DLC link service and connect a COMPAQ Netflex adapter, the SNA Server Admin program shows the 802.2 connection as Ethernet, even though the Netflex adapter is Token Ring. This is a cosmetic problem only because the Netflex adapter automatically detects the media type and any network software (including SNA Server) will continue to work correctly.
After installation, the Netflx02 registry entry for MediaType is always set to 1 (Ethernet). This value is then used by SNA Server setup (and passed to the SNA Admin program) to indicate the media type of the 802.2 link.
There are two workarounds to this problem:
WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious, system-wide problems that may require you to reinstall Windows NT to correct them. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use this tool at your own risk.
- Before you run SNA Server Setup to install an 802.2 DLC link service, run REGEDT32 and modify the following registry setting:
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/ Netflx02/Parameters/MediaType.
- Change MediaType from 1 (Ethernet) to 0 (Token Ring).
SNA Server Setup will properly detect the Netflex adapter as a Token Ring.-or-
- If the SNA Server configuration file already includes an Ethernet connection that should be Token Ring:
- Using SNA Admin, delete any erroneous Ethernet 802.2 connections from the configuration file.
- Using REGEDT32, modify the following registry setting:
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/ <SNADLC1>/Parameters/ExtraParameters/MACType.
- Change MACType from 1 (Ethernet) to 0 (Token Ring) (where <SNADLC1> is the name of the 802.2 link service specified during SNA Server setup, which is using AdapterName of \Device\NETFLX02).
- Rerun SNA Admin, remove the old Ethernet connection and re-add a new 802.2 connection, which will now appear as Token Ring.
Additional query words: prodsna
Keywords: kbhardware KB103942