Microsoft KB Archive/103877
Article ID: 103877
Article Last Modified on 11/22/1999
- Microsoft MS-DOS 6.2 Standard Edition
- Microsoft MS-DOS 6.22 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q103877
This information applies to both Microsoft DoubleSpace and Microsoft DriveSpace. For MS-DOS 6.22, use DRVSPACE in place of DBLSPACE for commands and filenames.
When you have duplicate directories on your DoubleSpace-compressed drive and your host drive, DoubleSpace displays an error message directing you to check the DBLSPACE.LOG file on the host drive when you try to uncompress the drive. If you cannot identify the duplicate filename, the file or directory may be hidden.
Some programs create hidden directories or files on your drive. For example, Microsoft Undelete Delete Sentry (UNDELETE /S) and Delete Tracker (UNDELETE /T), create a hidden SENTRY directory or a hidden PCTRACKR.DEL file to track deleted files. If you have hidden directories or files on both your DoubleSpace-compressed drive and its host drive, you cannot uncompress the DoubleSpace-compressed drive.
Use the TYPE command or MS-DOS Editor to view the DBLSPACE.LOG file that is located on your host drive. Once you have determined the duplicate filenames, use the DIR /A command to look for the files. You can use the ATTRIB command to remove the Hidden or System attribute from the file, and then you can rename or delete the file.
If DBLSPACE.LOG lists duplicate directories, you can use the MOVE command to rename one of the duplicates. For example, type the following at the MS- DOS command prompt and then press ENTER:
move h:\sentry h:\xsentry
If the Undelete SENTRY directory or PCTRACKR.DEL file is causing the problem, you can remove that directory or file from the host drive using the steps outlined below.
WARNING: If you delete the SENTRY directory or the PCTRACKR.DEL file, you cannot recover files that are being protected by Delete Sentry or Delete Tracker. Be sure you do not need to recover any files before you issue the DELTREE command.
- Start your computer without loading Undelete. To do this, press F8 when the "Starting MS-DOS..." prompt is displayed. Respond Yes (press Y) for each prompt EXCEPT the prompt to process the UNDELETE command.
- Delete the SENTRY directory or PCTRACKR.DEL file from your host drive. For example, if your DoubleSpace-compressed drive is C and your host drive is H, type deltree h:\sentry /y or deltree h:\pctrackr.del /y at the MS-DOS command prompt and then press ENTER.
NOTE: To determine which drive is your host drive, type dblspace /list at the MS-DOS command prompt and then press ENTER.
- Run DoubleSpace and choose Uncompress from the Tools menu.
Additional query words: 6.20