Microsoft KB Archive/103864
Using Wired for Sound Pro Version 2.1 with Windows NT
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Windows NT Server version 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation version 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server, version 3.1
WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious, system-wide problems that may require you to reinstall Windows NT to correct them. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use this tool at your own risk.
With Wired For Sound Pro version 2.1 and earlier running in Windows NT, you might not hear all system event sounds, or you might encounter the following error when running 16-bit Windows applications:
[xxxxxxxx] caused an exception in the Win16 Subsystem.
Note: "xxxxxxxx" above denotes the name of the 16-bit Windows application that encounters the error.
Your immediate options when this error is encountered are the following:
- Choose the Close button to terminate the application.
- Choose the Cancel button to debug the application.
- Choose the Ignore button to continue, you should save your work in a new file.
Wired For Sound Pro version 2.1 is not fully compatible with Windows NT.
If Wired for Sound Pro is suspected as the underlying cause for the exception error, closing Wired For Sound Pro should result in being able to start the application (that encountered the error) without getting an exception error.
To stop Wired For Sound Pro from starting automatically, you must manually edit the registry by following the steps below.
CAUTION: Modifying the Registry can harm your system. Query on the following words in the Microsoft Knowledge Base for details:
ntregistry and warning
- Start Registry Editor, REGEDT32.EXE.
- Select the window entitled "HKEY_USERS on Local Machine."
Locate and select the following Registry subkey:
- Double-click the Load entry in the Registry Values window to activate String Editor.
- Remove C:\WFSOUND\WFSOUND.EXE or the equivalent path and executable.
- Exit from Registry Editor.
Additional query words: prodnt WFS WFSOUND
Keywords : kb3rdparty
Issue type :
Technology : kbWinNTsearch kbWinNTWsearch kbWinNTW310 kbWinNTSsearch kbWinNTS310 kbWinNTAdvSerSearch kbWinNTAdvServ310 kbWinNTS310xsearch kbWinNT310xSearch kbWinNTW310Search
Last Reviewed: October 27, 2000