Microsoft KB Archive/103203
Migrated Icons May Appear Black When Minimized
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Windows NT Server version 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation version 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server, version 3.1
After you migrate a program item for an MS-DOS-based application using an icon from Windows 3.1 PROGMAN.EXE, the icon may appear black when running minimized in Windows NT.
To work around the problem, change the icon's Program Item Properties setting to use an icon from Windows NT PROGMAN.EXE (32-bit).
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Windows NT version 3.1 and Windows NT Advanced Server version 3.1. We are researching this problem and will post new information here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base as it becomes available.
Steps to Reproduce Problem
- In Windows 3.0 or 3.1, or Windows for Workgroups, associate a PROGMAN.EXE (16-bit) icon to an MS-DOS-based application and then exit Windows.
- In Windows NT, (assuming the Migrate option was chosen during the original installation), create a new user account named Test.
- Log on as Test and when prompted, choose to migrate groups.
- Run the MS-DOS-based application's icon created in Windows 3.x and press ALT+ENTER to run the application in a window.
- Minimize the application.
The application's minimized icon will appear as a black box.
Additional query words: wfw wfwg prodnt
Keywords : kbtool
Issue type :
Technology : kbWinNTsearch kbWinNTWsearch kbWinNTW310 kbWinNTSsearch kbWinNTS310 kbWinNTAdvSerSearch kbWinNTAdvServ310 kbWinNTS310xsearch kbWinNT310xSearch kbWinNTW310Search
Last Reviewed: October 27, 2000