Microsoft KB Archive/103079
Paused Printers Can Cause Print Manager Application Error
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Windows NT Server version 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation version 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server, version 3.1
If you move print jobs on a paused printer, print additional jobs, and then click below the last print job listed, the following error message may occur
An application error has occurred
and an application error log is being generated.
Exception: access violation (HEXADDRESS), Address: HEXADDRESS
where HEXADDRESS is a memory location.
Steps to Reproduce Problem
- Create a printer in Print Manager.
- Pause the printer by choosing Pause from the Printer menu.
- Print two documents to the paused printer. They should appear in the paused printer's child window in the Print Manager window.
- Move the second document to the top of the print job list.
- Print one more document to the printer. The first print job is no longer visible.
- Click immediately below the last print job listed (the third job printed). "Untitled" appears in the Print Manager status bar even if none of the print jobs were titled Untitled.
- Exit Print Manager.
- Restart Print Manager and click immediately below the last print job listed (the third job printed). The error message will then occur.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Windows NT and Windows NT Advanced Server version 3.1. This problem was corrected in the latest U.S. Service Pack for Windows NT and Windows NT Advanced Server version 3.1. For information on obtaining the Service Pack, query on the following word in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Additional query words: prodnt gp fault visible
Keywords : kbprint
Issue type :
Technology : kbWinNTsearch kbWinNTWsearch kbWinNTW310 kbWinNTSsearch kbWinNTS310 kbWinNTAdvSerSearch kbWinNTAdvServ310 kbWinNTS310xsearch kbWinNT310xSearch kbWinNTW310Search
Last Reviewed: October 27, 2000