Microsoft KB Archive/102862
XL3/XL4: How to Create a 2-D chart with Two Identical Y- Axes
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Excel for Windows, versions 3.0, 4.0, 4.0a
- Microsoft Excel for OS/2 versions 3.0
- Microsoft Excel for the Macintosh, versions 3.0, 4.0
In Microsoft Excel, to display two y-axes on a 2-D chart, you use an Overlay on the chart. When you create an overlay, at least one series must be used in the overlay. To create an additional y-axis that is identical to the first y-axis without displaying an overlay series, include an empty series in your chart and format this empty series as as the overlay series.
To create a 2-D chart with two identical y-axes, do the following:
- Create your chart using any of the conventional methods.
- With the chart active, click Edit Series on the Format menu.
- With New Series selected, create an empty series by placing a reference to an empty cell in the X Labels and Y Values boxes. Click OK to define the new series.
- On the Chart menu, click Add Overlay.
- On the Format menu, click Overlay. Make sure that the first overlay series is the last series available (the empty one).
- On the Chart menu, click Axes. In the Overlay box, check (enable) the Value (Y) Axis check box. Click OK to accept the change.
- Select the new axis on the right side of the chart, and click Scale on the Format menu.
- Change the scale of the new axis to match the primary y-axis.
- Change the color of each series back to its original color.
NOTE: If your chart has a legend, when you create any new series, even an empty one, the legend will be changed.
For more information on how to reverse the change to your legend, query on the following words in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
series and symbol and legend and pattern
"User's Guide 1," version 4.0, pages 428-431, 469
"User's Guide," version 3.0 for Windows, pages 422-424, 426, 441-444
"User's Guide," version 3.0 for Macintosh, pages 422-424, 426, 441-444
Additional query words: 4.00a graph duplicate multiple XL3 XL4
Keywords : xlchart
Version : WINDOWS:3.0,4.0,4.0a; OS/2:3.0; MACINTOSH:3.0,4.0
Platform : MACINTOSH OS/2 WINDOWS
Issue type : kbinfo
Technology : kbvcSearch
Last Reviewed: July 23, 1999