Microsoft KB Archive/102441
Switching Emulation Modes on the IBM 4019 and 4029 Printers
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Windows versions 3.0, 3.0a, 3.1, 3.11
- Microsoft Word for Windows, versions 2.0, 2.0a, 2.0a-CD, 2.0b, 2.0c
This articles describes how to change emulation modes on the IBM 4019 and 4029 Laser Printers. The IBM 4019 and 4029 have the following four emulation modes:
IBM ASCII mode (also called IBM PPDS mode)
Hewlett-Packard (HP) PCL4 Emulation mode (HP LaserJet II)
Plotter Emulation mode (IBM or HP Graphics Language)
PostScript mode (with PostScript option installed)
Changing Emulation Modes on the 4019
The printer is in IBM ASCII mode by default. To change the mode, when the printer is turned on, you either press one of three buttons or a combination of buttons.
- To select IBM ASCII (PPDS) mode, press and hold the PAPER button when you turn on the printer.
- To select HP Emulation mode, press and hold the FONT button when you turn on the printer.
- To select Plotter Emulation mode, press and hold the ORIENTATION button when you turn on the printer.
- To select PostScript mode, press and hold both the PAPER and FONT buttons when you turn on the printer.
To determine what mode the printer is currently in, press the ORIENTATION button when the printer is online. One of the following numbers appears in the status window.
1 = IBM ASCII mode
2 = HP Emulation mode
3 = Plotter Emulation mode
8 = PostScript mode
NOTE: The drivers supplied with Microsoft Word 5.0 for MS-DOS for the IBM 4019 are for use when the printer is in IBM ASCII (PPDS) mode. The printer can also be operated as an HP LaserJet-compatible printer by setting it to HP Emulation mode and using an HP LaserJet II printer driver.
Changing Emulation Modes on the 4029
The printer is in IBM ASCII mode by default. The mode can be changed by pressing the Main Menu button located on the front panel of the printer. The current emulation is displayed with the Ready status message on the front panel after the printer is turned on.
To change the emulation mode:
- Turn the printer on and wait until the Ready message is displayed on the front panel.
- Press the Main Menu button on the front panel.
[Emulation/Mode] is then displayed.
Press the List + button on the front panel until the emulation mode you want (one of the following) is displayed:
IBM PPDS mode (ASCII or Native IBM mode)
PCL4 Emulation mode (HP emulation)
Plotter Emulation mode
- Press the Select button to make the choice a temporary setting or hold down the ALT key while you press Save to save the setting as a user default.
Additional query words: wdprint 5.00 w4wprint IBM4019 IBM4029 1.00 1.10 1.10a 2.00a 2.00a-CD 2.00b 2.00c 3.00 3.00a 3.10 3.11 winword dosword
Issue type :
Last Reviewed: December 2, 1999