Microsoft KB Archive/101885
Article ID: 101885
Article Last Modified on 11/19/1999
- Microsoft MS-DOS 6.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft MS-DOS 6.2 Standard Edition
- Microsoft MS-DOS 6.22 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q101885
Microsoft Backup for MS-DOS (MSBACKUP.EXE) fails to restore files to a different machine than the one you originally used for backup. Attempting to restore using MSBACKUP.EXE may result in one of the following error messages:
- Cannot read volume information from diskette. -or-
- Cannot determine diskette type.
NOTE: These errors can also occur if you run Microsoft Backup from a third- party menu program. To work around this problem, exit Microsoft Backup and the menu program and then run Microsoft Backup from an MS-DOS command prompt.
To work around this problem, rebuild the catalog file before you proceed with the restore operation. The steps to rebuild a catalog file from floppy disks are as follows:
- Run MSBACKUP.EXE and choose the Restore button.
- From the Catalog menu, choose Rebuild.
- Select the correct drive letter from which to rebuild and then choose OK.
- After rebuilding, choose the Load button to load the new file, then continue with Restore.
Additional query words: 6.00 hang hangs errmsg 6.20