Microsoft KB Archive/101808
Article ID: 101808
Article Last Modified on 12/3/2003
- Microsoft Visual FoxPro 3.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Visual FoxPro 3.0b Standard Edition
- Microsoft Visual FoxPro 5.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Visual FoxPro 6.0 Professional Edition
- Microsoft FoxPro 2.5b
- Microsoft FoxPro 2.5a
- Microsoft FoxPro 2.5b
This article was previously published under Q101808
One of the following error messages may occur when you attempt to start FoxPro for Windows or when you are running FoxPro for Windows:
NOTE: FoxPro for Windows versions 2.5 and 2.5a generate different "Not enough memory for application (minimum <x> required)" error messages, where "<x>" is the amount of memory. For version 2.5, "<x>" is 2158592, and for version 2.5a, "<x>" is 2187264.
There is not enough virtual memory available to start FoxPro for Windows. Virtual memory is a technique used by Windows to simulate additional memory for an application to use. Applications access the memory through virtual addresses, which are mapped to physical addresses on the disk.
Use one of the following methods to increase the amount of virtual memory.:
METHODS FOR FOXPRO 2.x FOR WINDOWS ONLY
Reduce the minimum amount of memory allocated to FoxPro for Windows by the MEMLIMIT statement in the CONFIG.FPW file.
NOTE: This method does not apply if you are just starting FoxPro.
Increase the percentage of available memory allocated to FoxPro for Windows in the MEMLIMIT statement in the CONFIG.FPW file.
METHODS FOR FOXPRO 2.x AS WELL AS VISUAL FOXPRO
Increase the size of the Windows swap file. In Windows 3.1, do the following:
- From the Main group in Program Manager, run Control Panel, and then choose the 386 Enhanced icon.
- Choose the Virtual Memory button.
- Choose the Change button.
- Select the type of virtual memory you want to use (Temporary or Permanent) from the Type list box, then enter a larger size in the New Size box. The new swap file does not take effect until Windows is restarted.
If an Expanded Memory Specification (EMS) emulator is in use, remove it or reduce the amount of expanded memory it provides. EMM386.EXE, provided with MS-DOS and Windows, has this emulation capability.
Reduce the size of your disk-caching software. Windows cannot use XMS memory that a disk cache is using. SMARTDRV.EXE is the disk cache provided with MS-DOS and Windows.
Verify a valid path exists for the temporary files that FoxPro creates, and that there is at least 5 MB of room available for the creation of these temporary files.
For more information on using virtual memory and swap files, query on the following words here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
swap and file and determines and maximum
NOTE: These error messages may also be caused if the resource file, FOXUSER.DBF, is corrupted. To resolve this, perform the following:
- At the MS-DOS prompt, type the following command:
RENAME foxuser.dbf foxuser.dbk
- Restart FoxPro. A new FOXUSER.DBF file is automatically created.
(c) Microsoft Corporation 2000, All Rights Reserved. Contributions by Kevin Zollman, Microsoft Corporation.
"Microsoft Windows Resource Kit," version 3.1, page 456
Additional query words: VFoxWin FoxWin 2.50 2.60x errmsg WATCOM Win386 err msg kbvfp300 kbvfp300b kbvfp500 kbvfp600 akz
Keywords: kberrmsg KB101808